Why Conduct the Pilot Study?
Our ability to efficiently determine whether a room contains bed bugs or not will be constrained by our ability to correctly classify positive and negative samples. In turn, this will depend on:
- What compounds are present in hotel rooms and how do they differ?
- Can these compounds interfere with the marker compounds for bed bugs?
- If they do what can we do in our instrument to stop them interfering?
- What are the potential sources of these compounds in the room?
- What are the concentrations of these compounds?
- What are the matrix compounds present in hotel and how do they differ?
- Do they actually interfere with the peaks and ions of interest?
- What is the limit of detection/repeatability/reproducibility and dynamic range for the method?